Exe-rated runners!

Exe-rated runners!
The successful Harriers team, en masse, at the Erme Valley Relays, July 2013

Monday 20 May 2013

Credit to the Crediton Crunch!

I, Ellie Sutcliffe, was once again the sole Harrier at this well organised, multi-terrain event staged by the Crediton Running Network. The race was in its third year this year and credit(on?!) must go to the CRN for putting together such a great event. As a cheap-to-enter local race, this really did tick all the boxes: a beautiful, well marshaled course, a good set-up and atmosphere at the race HQ (in Lords Meadow Leisure centre, with bargain cakes, excellent showering facilities and free massage), a good quality finishers medal and goodie bag that included not just 1, but 2 chocolate bars, and, for myself who was fortunate to win the ladies race, a lovely top quality trophy and a gold medal that puts the Devon County A.A. ones to shame!

The route was described as being very hilly but in reality - and particularly after last week's beast of a run at Killerton - it was not that bad. (500ft of climb compared to last week's 1200ft!). It was billed as 10k (ish) and measured in at 6.35 miles on my garmin. The highlight of the run was running through the private grounds of Downes House, formerly the home of Sir Redvers Buller (whoever he was!). Nice pad though!

I set off with gusto and at about one mile in there was a hairpin bend that allowed me to look back up the lane and see who was behind me. Unable to see any other women, I could then relax a bit and just concentrate on keeping a good rhythm. As it turned out it was a good thing I had made such a gap early on as from about 2 miles in I started to feel dreadful: the legs suddenly felt like led weights and I felt very spacey and lethargic. From here on in it was a case of damage limitation and trying to hang on to the finish. I felt fine as soon as I finished - just one of those days where you inexplicably just don't feel right, we all have them! I slipped a few places but finished in 17th place overall, first female, in a new female course record (not forgetting the race has only been going 3 years though, and only 2 years on this present route, so I'm sure this will be easily beaten) in a time of 42:42.

Would definitely recommend it to Harriers who like a mixture of terrain (50/50 off and on road) and cheap but good quality cakes at the finish.... just the 2 for me on this occasion, ultimate restraint!

Start of the Crediton Crunch - an uphill start, always nasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment